Regulations & Licensing

Licensing and regulations regarding the production and sale of different food products can be a very challenging road to navigate. In the state of Colorado there are four main regulatory offices that regulate, guide and/or license food products: the Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment (CDPHE), the Colorado Department of Agriculture (CDA), local county health departments, and the Colorado Department of Revenue. Depending on your product and how you are planning on selling your product, you will most likely need to contact at least one, if not more, of these agencies.

Because regulations and licensing can be very specific, please make sure to carefully read all regulations and licensing information.

  • Rules may be different from county to county and can be operation-specific, as can licenses.
  • Licenses may be valid for a calendar year, for a one-year period from the date of issue, or for some other time period.
  • Make sure to note the expiration date for each license you obtain so that you can renew it before it expires.
  • Always check with your local health department before beginning any food business.